Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 20

Final location: HOME!; Final odometer 24779; Miles total: 8454.1

A leisurely start to the day and was on the road by 8:30. Traffic was light, weather was great and I was home by 12:30.


This is how they found me when they came out to see what was taking so long to come inside.

Thanks to all the folks who supported me, fed me and/or put me up for the night. Thanks also to Lisa (RubberGator) and team for putting on a fine gettogether in Coos Bay, OR. This was a great trip and I got to see a lot of the USA and Canada, most of which I had never seen before.


And thanks for taking the time to read this, my first, blog!

Total spent on gas: $1,004.90 (pro-rating first and last tanks)
Total gas consumed: 237.532 g
Average gas mileage: 35.8345 mpg
Best tank mileage: 41.7793 miles (not as good as I thought)
Worst tank mileage: 31.3740 mpg
Biggest fill-up: 6.211 g (6.5 g capacity)
Longest day's ride: 759 miles (to Margot and HotSauce's house)
Average day's ride: 457.9 miles (full riding days counted)

Highlights:
Zion was probably the most to see in a such a small space.
Lots of "Oh, WOW!" moments.
Chatting with people along the way.

All the mechanicals worked great - solar setup, bike and trailer.
Seeing friends and distant family.
Getting home to family.

Lowlights:
Cold ride up the coast of California and Oregon into Coos Bay.
Missing some sights just due to lack of time.

There is so much to see on this continent. Beauty is everywhere! Just get out and go - you will find it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your journey! The scenery was wonderful, the pictures phenomenal and the blog was a great way to follow your progress. Glad to see you made it home safe & sound.
Acta est fabula, plaudite!
Debby

Michael said...

Dan,
What an incredible ride, and an AWESOME chronicle of the effort! Oh, but if there'd been 'blogs' in 99. Or were there?!

I'm smilin' with you - I know the grin (even through the exhaustion!) will be there for days.

Thanks for again for sharing. You've inspired me to do a 'camping' ride at the first opportunity.

Mike
BTW - be sure to check out 'Long Way Down' on Fox Reality - Saturday nites at 7, starts today.