Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day 18

Final location: Highland Park, IL; Final odometer: 23815; Miles so far: 7496.7

I started packing the bike after a noisy (remember the kids from the night before?) breakfast. Everything was wet, even under the bike cover. The ground didn't seem all that wet though. I got underway and quickly crossed into Minnesota. Lucky for me, I got there at the height of the "Annual Spreading of the Manure Festival" - WHEW!



I stopped at an anonymous rest stop somewhere in Minnesota and took inventory of the bike and trailer. Not bad, except for all the carnage.



I then came upon this sign. The story was interesting itself but what caught my attention was the 56 foot tall Jolly Green Giant. SWEET! I set off for the next exit and Blue Earth.




I couldn't find the spot where it was at first (that's because it was right in front of me). A quick tour of Blue Earth showed a really nice, pleasant town. I immediately wondered what was wrong with it. Anyway, I finally found the Jolly Green Giant. I took a couple of pictures around the park (doesn't it look like Bett Midler modeled for the wooden cut out?) but the picnic tables were so far away that you can see how far I could make it up the back stairs of the giant. Oh well.



I got back on the highway and within a few minutes a billboard flashes by announcing the SPAM Museum - SWEET (again)! I missed the exit but went to the next and came back around to exit 176B, Austin, MN. Unfortunately, it was only 11:15 and the museum didn't open until noon. I took a couple pictures, including the one of the SPAM-related fare at the restaurant across the street, and left as tourists started pouring into the parking lot of the museum.


The AAA maps indicated I should get off at exit 193 and take the scenic route, US-16 (Historic Bluff County Scenic Byway), for the rest of the time in MN to La Crosse, WI. I stumbled across a couple things along the way. I saw a sign that said "Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center" - SWEET! But couldn't find it.




A little while later I stopped to reference my map and came across a consignment business that was storing the components for a wind farm. I had seen a few in Minnesota but someone was going in big time. You can see a tower in place behind the bike in a field opposite the consignment facility. Nothing like finding these little diversions along the way...

Speaking of diversions - what's with all the parades!? I got into Houston, MN and they had a parade going on that required a detour. This was the third parade I had encountered.



Once in La Crosse, WI, I was on the Great River Road - a route we had next planned on exploring after doing Route 66.




But all this was taking too long. I finally made it to Donna & Eric's about 7:30. I played with Otis and we went out for a quick bite to eat at an Irish pub in the Highland Park area. No fancy beers, just a Stella. Donna and Eric treated me to dinner - thanks guys!!


We chatted for a bit, talked about the JC Whitney Outlet Center and then retired for the evening.

No comments: